Gold Testing Kit
- 10K Gold Testing Acid Solution 0.5 fl oz. (0.15 l)
- 14K Gold Testing Acid Solution 0.5 fl oz. (0.15 l)
- 18K Gold Testing Acid Solution 0.5 fl oz. (0.15 l)
- Testing stone 64 x 38 x 6 mm
The acid solution comes in shatterproof bottles. To protect from cross contamination, each with a color coded cap. Allows the user to easily squeeze out one drop at a time.
PROCEDURES FOR TESTING GOLD
To test for the karat value of gold you will need the following materials and tools:
- Black acid testing stone (included in kit) that is washed thoroughly with water prior to each test
- Acids (included in kit)
- Gold testing needles with gold tips – used for comparison with test pieces (Not included in kit)
Alternatively you can use a piece of jewellery where you know the exact karat, e.g. a 14 or 18K gold ring
Testing for 10K and 14K
Scratch the gold piece to be tested on the stone. Next to this position, scratch the appropriate needle (10 or 14K). Place a drop of the appropriate acid on the stone where the gold was rubbed off. If the gold is the same karat or higher, the colour of the scratch mark for the gold piece will appear the same as the mark from the needle. If that gold piece is a lower karat, the scratched deposit will become fainter and eventually disappear.
Testing for 18K
Scratch the test piece on the stone and apply 18K acid. Any gold that is less than 18K will disappear in less than 30 seconds. Gold that remains on the stone is 18K or higher.
The testing solutions contain Nitric and muriatic acid.
Latex Gloves and safety glasses are recommended with the use of any testing acids for safety .
Warning, keep out of reach of children!
Test Acids have a shelf life of approximately 12 months once opened.