Melt 1 to 6 oz of fine placer gold (1 to 3 oz silver) – take it to the field with you!
Definition of CUPELLATION:
A refining process for non-oxidizing metals, such as silver and gold, in whichi a metallic mixture is oxidized at high temperatures and base metals are separated by absorption into the walls of a cupel.
You can only cupel in a hybrid or cupelling kwik kiln, but the first step is to create a “lead” prill by melting your unrefined gold or metal
The diffuser – the top section of the combustion chamber that is jacketed with stainless steel – is chamfered in the hybrid kwik kiln. The chamfered edge is designed for cupelling, to open the flame exiting the kwik kiln and expose the cupel and burning lead to atmospheric oxygen, thereby allowing the conversion of metallic lead to Litharge, which is then absorbed by the cupel.
The diffuser chamfer has to be the correct angle for this to occur. It also has to be ridigized for durability.
Included is the spacer kiln piece that fits over the combustion chamber when melting clean precious metals, to allow for the taller height of the graphite crucible.
The Hybrid CM Kwik Kiln is a combination furnace for both cupelling or melting pure metals. It contains the chamfered diffuser of Cupel Kwik Kiln, plus the Melting Kwik Kiln spacer needed to accommodate a graphite crucible for melting.
This Deluxe Kit supplies you with everything you need except your propane, torches and your gold.
• kwik kiln with spacer
• chamfered diffuser for cupelling
• 4 premium bone ash cupels
• (2) mini graphite crucibles
• (1) graphite 2 oz gold / 1 oz silver or copper loaf mold
• 6″ scissor tongs
• 3 ounces of melting flux
• instructions for both cupelling and melting.
To get started you will also need:
• Two torch kits with Propane gas cylinders from Mitre10 or Bunnings at around $50 each. This is because we are unable to ship the gas cylinders around NZ.
A field test report can be downloaded from our INFORMATION site. Just click on the tab ‘INFORMATION” and go to PDF downloads.
Measurements of Kwik Kiln:
Ø 4″ / 102 mm OD
Height 4″ / 102 mm
• This mini kiln is not recommended for smelting ore concentrates, due to the limited capacity for both cons and refining flux 1 to 3 ratios.
• The refractory materials of our kilns are good for up to 1250° Celsius which allows you to melt gold, copper, silver with ease, in only 15 minutes.